Wet your hair
Before putting your hair into a swim cap, you will want to wet it down. This will help the cap to stay in place and will also prevent your hair from drying out while you are swimming. You can either wet your hair with water or with a conditioner/water mixture.
If you are using a conditioner/water mixture, you will want to use about 1 part conditioner to 2 parts water. Mix the conditioner and water together in a bowl and then pour it over your head. Make sure that all of your hair is saturated and then proceed to the next step.
If you are just using water, you will want to wet your hair in the shower or at the sink. Wet it down thoroughly and then proceed to the next step.
Apply conditioner (optional)
Conditioner can help to keep your hair from tangling while you swim and can also help to protect your hair from the chlorine in the pool water. If you have time, apply conditioner to your hair and let it sit for a few minutes before putting on your swim cap. You can also use leave-in conditioner or detangler spray if you don’t have time to wait for the conditioner to work.
Comb your hair
Start by combing your hair to get rid of any knots or tangles. If your hair is particularly long or thick, you may want to put it in a ponytail or braid first to make it easier to manage. Once your hair is smooth, put on your swim cap.
Put your hair in a ponytail
Before you even think about putting on a swim cap, you need to get your hair out of your face. The easiest way to do this is to put your hair in a ponytail. If you have really long hair, you may want to put your hair in a bun instead. This will make it easier to put on the swim cap and keep your hair out of your face.
Wrap a towel around your head
First, wet your hair and apply leave-in conditioner throughout to help protect it from the chlorine. Then, wrap a towel around your head, twist it up into a little bun, and secure it with a clip or band. This will help soak up excess water so your hair isn’t dripping when you put on the swim cap.
Put on the swim cap
- Make sure your hair is completely dry before you put on the swim cap. Wet hair will make it more difficult to get a tight fit, and it can also cause the cap to slip off more easily.
- Start by putting the swim cap on top of your head. If it has a seam, make sure that it’s centered at the back of your head.
- Pull the swim cap down over your forehead, making sure that all of your hair is covered.
- Put your hands inside the cap and smooth down any stray hairs, making sure that they’re lying flat against your head.
- If you’re having trouble getting all of your hair into the cap, try using a conditioner or gel to help slick it down. Avoid using too much, though, as this can make the cap slippery and more difficult to stay in place.
Tuck in your hair
To put long hair in a swim cap, start by tucking your hair into the cap. Then, use your hands to smooth down your hair and make sure there are no bumps. If you’re using a latex cap, you can put baby powder on your hair to help prevent it from sticking to the cap. Finally, adjust the straps on the swim cap so it’s snug but not too tight.
Fasten the swim cap
To fasten the swim cap, start by wetting your hair and putting on the cap. Make sure the cap is pulled down over your forehead. Then, take a section of hair from the top of your head and pull it over the top of the cap. Repeat this process with sections of hair from the sides of your head. Finally, secure the cap by tying it behind your head.